“To keep the body in good health is a duty, otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.”
8 Ways to Rev Up Metabolism
The acid found in vinegar (acetic acid) has been shown to support the breakdown of fat and reduces its accumulation. Take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar on an empty stomach; add vinegar to salads or other foods.
The University of Western Ontario found that a flavonoid in citrus fruits (called naringenin) causes the liver to burn excess fat. It has also helps improve cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of insulin resistance.
*Be aware that specific drugs can be affected by eating grapefruit. Check with your doctor if you are on any medications and would like to enjoy grapefruit.
This refers to the fast from your last meal until your breakfast in the morning. Many people over eat in the evening and up until bedtime. Nighttime binge eating is the single most common way people keep weight on. Habitual behaviours lead to binge eating. Here are a few:
- You’re not eating enough through the day.
- You’re bored.
- Negative thought patterns are swimming through your head.
- You had a long stressful day and stress response hormone cortisol is flooding through the body. This hormone drives blood sugar levels up, leads to belly fat, and sugar/carbohydrate cravings.
If you find yourself picking through the fridge or staring into the pantry, stop and ask what behaviours lead up to the need for overeating.
Small bursts of exercise
In addition to regular exercise, small bursts of exercise are easy to incorporate and the extra calories burned add up – an average of 300 more calories burned each day. The extra burst will provide you with more energy and reduces stress built up through the day.
- Take the stairs.
- Mow the lawn and rake the leaves.
- Go walk your dog.
- Exercise between commercials.
- Complete a set of wall push-ups.
- 10-20 squats before leaving the bathroom.
Dry brushing and rebounding
Dry brushing and rebounding assist in lymphatic drainage, aid in the management of cellulite and may increase immune system function.
Dry brushing is easy. A dry brush can be purchased from a health food store, or you can use a medium soft bristle brush.
- Start brushing in a circular motion from the feet and up towards to groin.
- Brush both legs from toes to groin.
- Continue to brush upward towards the heart.
- Brush fingers, up the arm towards to heart.
* If you have been diagnosed with cancer please consult your medical doctor before proceeding with any form of lymphatic drainage.
Green tea has been proven to increase your metabolism through thermogenesis and through polyphenols, which activate enzymes that burn fat. You could burn an extra 70 calories a day just by drinking a few cups a day.
Take this nutrient rich food before each meal and it will help to decrease your appetite. Its nutrient content will nourish your thyroid and provide protein to vegans.
Holy Basil (Tulsi)
This herb proves to be a natural painkiller, with strong detoxifying, antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It is an adaptogen that helps reduce cortisol and blood sugar levels. Cortisol is the stress activated hormone that when left unchecked can increase belly fat, blood sugar and increase oxidative damage to the body.